Today was my third haircut in Korea, at the third hair salon. I thought I would get around and try a bunch of different places. The place I chose today is a place that I see on my walk to school. It's upstairs from the coffee shop called Adagio that I visit on occasion (ok, all the time). When I arrived, there was a Korean girl who spoke English ready to greet me at the door. She asked if I spoke Korean, and when I said no, she spent the entire time at my side as another stylist who spoke only Korean cut my hair. She had studied in Dallas and has been to Mexico and LA. We had a good conversation and I got the impression that I might have been the first foreigner to set foot in the place. Or at least the only one in a long time. The cut was fine, the kept asking me questions about why I came to their salon and where else I had gone and how much longer I'm staying. She complimented my hair and eye color. And she kept telling me to come back. They wanted me to speak in Korean, the little bit that I know, and were entirely entertained by my attempts. When I left, every employee that wasn't busy came to the door as I payed and bowed to me on my way out. They gave me a bottle of shampoo as a gift and told me again to come back. I felt like a minor celebrity.
No comments:
Post a Comment