Thursday, March 9, 2006

So...a few weeks ago I began the study the Korean martial art of Hapkido. It's like a cross between harsher, linear martial arts like Karate and Tae Kwon Do and the softer, circular practice of Yoga or T'ai Chi.

I love it.

I go to the gym three days a week and work on kicking, striking, and blocking techniques as well as self defense, breathing, stretching, and weapons. What kind of weapons? The sword and a long stick called a jo. It's incredible and I can't wait to learn more.

I'm just a white belt, as all beginners are. But it's a white belt on a black uniform. Yeah, we look like ninjas! I'm hoping that by the time I leave Korea, wtih a bit of work, I will get to be a red belt. Although I could step it up a bit and go to the gym five days a week...that's just too much.

Anyways, this is probably my most boring blog I've written, but it's what I've been up to...



*note on 7/7/09 as I copy this blog from its original place on Myspace...I exceeded my goal and ended as a brown belt, which is just one step below black belt!

No comments:

Post a Comment